Hamster Treats – Show the Love the Homemade Way!
September 22, 2016
Don’t forget that the smallest of the small animals love treats too! Here are a couple of recipes for homemade hamster treats so you can show these tiny family members how much you care! Now, it’s always best to give treats in moderation, so keep that in mind when giving treats out.
Sesame Seed Delights:
Cheerios (sugar-free kind)
- Add sesame seeds and oats into a bowl
- Crush the Cheerios in a small ziplock bag, don’t crush them into dust, just small pieces
- Add the Cheerios to the seeds and oats and mix around
- Drizzle honey over the mixture and coat well
- Use your fingers to mold the mixture into small balls that your hamster can hold
- Put them on a baking tray and into the fridge for 15 minutes
- Heat your oven to 375 degrees and bake treats for 10 minutes
- Let cool completely and store in a cool place, give to your happy hamster treats occasionally when they are being awesome!
Hamster Cookie Treats:
1/4 cup oat meal
3 tbs water
1 tsp peanut butter
2 tbs + 1 tsp whole wheat flour
A few drops of vanilla (optional)
- In a small bowl, mix water, flour and vanilla.
- Add oat meal then mix in peanut butter last.
- Roll and knead the dough in your hands. Next make little balls or take small cookie cutters and make cool shapes.
- Then, get a cookie sheet ready with parchment paper and put cookies on it. And pre – heat your oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- When oven comes up to temperature place treats in. They should cook for about 18 minutes, but leave them in the oven until it cools, this will cause them to be crunchy.
3. Peanut Butter Crunches:
whole wheat flour – 1 cup
crunchy reduced-fat peanut butter – 1 tbsp
1 T. honey
1/3 cup water
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Grease cookie sheet (or use a spray).
- I like to use a mini-muffin pan because it makes them little hamster muffins!
- Mix all ingredients with a pastry blender.
- Shape into 1/2″ balls and place on cookie sheet. These do not spread so can be placed close together.
- Bake 45 minutes; leave in oven until oven cools to dry out and be crunchy.
Now, everyone has a busy life every now and then so if homemaking hamster treats is not in your schedule, we have a ton of different treats and toys for your favorite hamster (or hamsters!). Let us help you pick out something special for your pet today!