We love spoiling our pups and throwing them a small treat here and there but some foods should never be shared with your pup. The reason being is that dogs and humans metabolize foods differently which is why some foods are safe for humans to eat but may be toxic and potentially deadly for dogs. Figuring out which foods are safe versus unsafe can be confusing. Below is a list of five very common foods that are safe for your dog and five very common foods that are not safe for your dog.
Carrots: Both raw and cooked carrots are safe for your dog to eat. They are low in calories and provide a good source of vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Prior to serving carrots to your dog, make sure to cut them into bite-size pieces which will make them easier for him to munch on.
Peanut Butter: In moderate amounts, peanut butter is a healthy, tasty, and safe treat for dogs. It is high in calories which can contribute to weight gain but in small portions will make your puppy happy. Unsalted peanut butter is recommended.
Cooked Eggs: One medium cooked egg provides several vitamins and minerals and plus a lot of protein. Some say that eggs may also help relieve nausea in dogs. It should be noted that raw eggs are not recommended for a dog since raw eggs can contribute to bacteria, such as Salmonella.
Cooked and Boneless: Salmon is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are known to reduce inflammation and may even help keep your dog’s skin and fur healthy. It should be noted that you should avoid salmon with bones as they can pose a choking hazard. Popcorn: As an occasional treat, popcorn is safe pending for dogs it does not have salt or extra ingredients. Be sure to note popcorn kernels are a choking hazard and may get stuck in your dog’s teeth, so you should only provide your dog with fully-popped corn kernels.
Foods Dogs Can Safely Eat
Grapes And Raisins: Grapes and raisins contain toxic compounds that are extremely harmful to dogs. They have the potential to lead to rapid kidney failure which can result in death. Even small amounts of grapes and raisins can do this which is why it is very important to never allow your pup to eat these foods.
Chocolate: Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine, two stimulants that dogs cannot efficiently metabolize that will make them very sick. Symptoms of chocolate consumption include vomiting, diarrhea and dehydration and may lead to more serious complications, such as internal bleeding, muscle tremors, seizures and death.
Macadamia Nuts: Macadamia nuts contain a toxin that may lead to vomiting, muscle weakness, tremors, hyperthermia and depression when dogs consume them. These nuts are also high in fat content, which may elevate your dog’s triglyceride levels and potentially lead to pancreatitis.
Onion: Onions contain N-propyl disulfide, a compound that is harmful to dogs. Onions have the potential to damage your dog’s red blood cells, reducing their ability to carry oxygen through the body. This often results in a medical condition called anemia.
It should also be noted that all components and forms of onions, such as onion powder, are toxic to dogs.
Avocados: Avocados should never be consumed by dogs because they contain a toxin called persin. Persin is known to be very poisonous to dogs and may lead to fluid accumulation in their lungs and chest, which can cause breathing difficulties, oxygen deprivation and even death.
What Do I Do If My Dog Eats Something Toxic? The first rule is to stay calm and identify exactly what your dog ate and if possible, to determine how much was consumed. Immediately contact your veterinarian for emergency advice. The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center is also a very good resource if you think your dog has eaten something bad for them. Call (888) 426-4435 for help. This organization has experts available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Not seeing what you are looking for? Let's start by giving you a $100.00 off your puppy by making an appointment today.